THE TIME IS NOW…
Rick and Liz Weber, owners of Muir Valley, have announced their intention to make a gift Muir Valley to the climbing community by transferring ownership to Friends of Muir Valley by March 31, 2015 if FOMV demonstrates capability of owning and managing Muir Valley by meeting the following goals in 2014:
FOMV is to phase into assuming responsibility for the operation and maintenance required to keep Muir open to the public and to maintain the standards established by the Webers over their 10 years of ownership of Muir Valley.
FOMV is to raise $200,000 in 2014 to cover the 2014 and 2015 operating and maintenance expenses, as well as the expenditures associated with the transfer of ownership and creating a stewardship fund for the property.
WE NEED YOUR HELP TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN!
We plan to meet these goals in part by seeking grant funding and corporate sponsorship. But, most of all, raising the funds will require donations from the thousands of climbers who enjoy Muir Valley each year.
We will also be engaging volunteers and paid labor to help with our expanded responsibilities.
THIS IS NO ORDINARY YEAR. IT IS A ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY TO PRESERVE ACCESS TO MUIR VALLEY FOR CLIMBING IN PERPETUITY!
ABOUT FRIENDS OF MUIR VALLEY (FOMV)
FOMV is a 501(c)3 charitable organization formed for the purpose of supporting Muir Valley, a world-class climbing destination in the Red River Gorge, Kentucky, and to help insure that it remains open to the public. Our commitments, as established in our bylaws, include the following:
- Provide volunteer support for restoration, maintenance and development projects in Muir Valley.
- Provide education about “leave no trace” (LNT) ethics, resource protection, climber safety, and stewardship philosophy.
- Coordinate efforts concerning rock climbing at Muir Valley with the Access Fund, Muir Valley LLC (Landowners Rick and Liz Weber), and other organizations.
- Foster, expand, and perpetuate the sports of rock climbing and hiking, as well as the study of nature, such as bird watching, photography, and identifying flora and fauna.
- Reduce impact and rehabilitate high-use areas at Muir Valley.
- Provide for construction and maintenance of infrastructure such as trails and facilities used by the public.
Friends of Muir Valley is a nonpartisan group that any climber or visitor to Muir Valley can be a part of. We currently do not have formal membership. Participation in FOMV consists of volunteering time, expertise, money and other resources to the tasks at hand.